Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tutorial: From top sheet to curtains

Happy new year! We're getting back into the swing of things with the new year, and one thing I want to do is get this blog up and running more regularly. We've been busy already with AHG meetings and homeschooling for Ari, occupational and speech therapies for Jonas, and Josiah's just along for the ride. They're getting huge. And gorgeous. I don't mean to brag, but I've got some awesome, gorgeous kids...

OK, I digress... the reason for this post. We got the kids twin size mattresses and the bedding sets they wanted for Christmas. They were so excited. When we unpacked the bedding, we didn't know what to do with the top sheets. We live in Florida. We have maybe two weeks of super cold weather. Our kids are like their Mama. They get hot fast. We just don't need the top sheets!

I remembered my mom making curtains out of her top sheets the last time she got a bedding set for my parents room. It was super easy. She whipped them up in a day. I wanted to expand on her idea, so here's my take on it.

1. First, figure out which end you want to be the top. Because the kids' bedding had characters on it, we had to be careful to make sure the top was the right end. Fold the seam of the top over twice and pin it.

2. Press the folded seam so you have nice creases.

3. Cut off what you've pinned (I got to use my new rotary cutter! Oh, where have you been all my life??) Cut this in half so you have two pieces half the width of the top sheet.
4. Open up the pinned seam and tuck the raw edge in, then sew it shut.
5. Fold over the raw edge where you cut this strip in half, then sew it down. Do this for both strips, then set to the side. We'll use these later.
6. Back to the sheet. On the same edge you cut from (what is going to be the top of your curtain), fold over the fabric enough so you can fit a curtain rod in it. Pin and press (pressing is optional, just makes it nice and easy to sew).
7. Sew this folded piece down, giving enough "seam allowance" to fit your curtain rod in.
8. Find the middle of the sheet. Fold and press.
9. Remember the strips we cut and sewed up? Find the center of one of the strips, and tack onto the middle of the wrong side of the sheet. One curtain down!
10. You might need someone to help you, but lay both sheets right side down onto your cutting table. This will show you how much of the fresh sheet you need to cut to get it to match the finished curtain. Cut off all but about 2 inches (more if you're using wider rods than the "el cheapo" curtain rods at Walmart or Target). Repeat steps 6-9 for the second sheet.
Voila! Beautiful Hello Kitty curtains for my little princess's Hello Kitty bedroom!

I did the same with my boys' Avengers top sheets. Sorry I didn't take the time to fix their blinds before taking the picture. Working with a headache!

Both sets of curtains were completed in a day. The boys' curtains were done before naptime. Arianna's curtains were done between dinner and bedtime, and I had time to post this tutorial!

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment